A Guide To Help You Write A Research Paper And Format It In MLA
MLA is an acronym for Modern Language Association. This is a style of referencing source material for a research paper and other reports. This is a very common format while writing research papers in subjects covering liberal arts and humanities. If you are considering buying research papers online, then it prudent that you check if the professional paper writers are familiar with the format. A basic knowledge of the format will also help you when you are planning to buy custom papers online. Here is a detailed account of basic points of MLA style formatting.
MLA style aims to protect authors of papers from plagiarism. A proper referencing also make the author accountable to the source and original authors.
Italics are used for –
- Denoting words in a foreign language in an English text.
- When a particular word or letter is referred to.
- Report should be in white paper of 8.5” x 11” dimension.
- The pages should have 1" margins on all sides. The text should be left justified.
- On top right of each page, there should be a page number followed by last name of the author.
- The font should be clear in 12 pts size. The text should be double spaced throughout, with single spaces after punctuations.
- There should be no extra space between paragraphs.
The first page serves as the title page and contains -
Headings for section/chapter
They can be of two types –
- Numbered – here a number is assigned to the chapters like 1, 2, 3, etc. the subsections also will be accordingly numbered like 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc.
- Unnumbered – a name or explanatory phrase denotes the chapters and its subsections.
Tables and illustrations
They should be placed along with the reference text and appropriately titled and numbered. The source and notes on the table should be under that table and labeled with an alphabet.
Citation in text
The citation is used in text when the quoted passage is lesser than three lines. The citation should appear in parenthesis outside the quoted material. This is a short form which includes ‘author’s name, date of publication’.
Works Cited List
For longer passages, the citation should be in the ‘works cited list’. This is different from bibliography and makes the readers aware of the sources.
A detailed account of MLA style formatting can be obtained in your Institute library. Alternatively you can seek help from professionals who write papers for money and are conversant in this style of formatting. But you have to be really selective and confidant of their claim as any diversion from the format can lead to disqualification of your paper.